Friday, October 30, 2009

A white crow ? No way can you fool me again.

A month or so ago, my niece Divya called me up all excited about a place in Cochin where
one could pay & take short horse-riding sessions. When I asked where it was in Cochin,
she said that she will not disclose the location, but if we were to come to Cochin, she will
take us there.

I told her that we need not drive 100 kms to Cochin to do horse-riding and that I was
planning to buy a pony for Aman. She believed my story & sounded very excited about
the prospect of having our own pony. I left it at that as I was just kidding.

Ofcourse, Divya believed what I said and this became a big topic of discussion for her at
home. Even though my sister tried to convince her that I was joking about buying the
pony, she would not believe it. Her logic being, "Mom, Biju-uncle will get anything for
Aman. So I am sure he would have bought a pony".

As I am driving home from work one evening a month ago, my sister calls me :

Sis: Hey, Divya actually believed your pony-buying story and is driving us crazy here.
Me : Well, that is not a story. We did buy a pony last week.

Sis: Hey don't bluff. Dont think you can fool me like you fooled Divya.
Me : What is there in this to fool you ? I had been thinking of a pet for Aman for a long
time and I thought a pony would be a good choice.

Sis: Come on. A horse costs a lot of money.
Me : Yes, race horses and top breeds do. But this is just a pony and no special breed.

Sis: Where did you buy it from ? I don't know of anyplace nearby that sells horses.
Me : From a stud farm at Kodukulanji, 15kms from our home. Cost 40K, but worth it.

Sis: Hey Biju, don't bluff ok. I don't believe this.
Me : If you cant believe, come over and check it out for yourself.

Sis: It won't be a horse. It must be a Kovar-Kazhuda (Mallu-speak for donkey).
Me : Donkeys are even cheaper. This is a horse.

Sis: Anyway, let me call up home and confirm for myself.

As she cuts the phone, I call up home. Mom takes the call. I tell her the whole story and
ask her to play along when my sis calls. As expected, my sis calls home immediately and
my Mom plays along to the pony story.

What I did not expect my sis to do was to call my wife to reconfirm, who being unaware
that I was playing a joke on my sister, promptly says that there is no pony or donkey here.

Anyway, after this incident, my sis is a little careful about believing what I say. So when
I called her from Serbia and told her that we saw a white crow here, it was natural for her
to think that I am again playing a prank on her.

But, I did see a white crow (atleast partially white) at Serbia and here are the snaps I took.




P.S. : A post after a long time - apart from lack of time, did not just get the mood to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment