Thursday, October 15, 2009

Getting colder by the day. And start missing home...

It was 6 deg C yesterday evening when we left for the hotel. As always, I had come
prepared for the winter - had a leather jacket and a sweater. But since one of my
colleagues had forgotten to pack any warm clothing, I gave him my jacket, while I
decided to manage with the sweater.

It was not a big gesture or anything. Just returning a favour that I have received
from others many times over. I have landed in Atlanta without a jacket or even a
sweater assuming that I would be returning home before winter starts. But as luck
would have it, I had to postpone my return and it was only helpful friends who came
to my help then. This was just a small payback from my side.

Anyway, winter seems to be setting in slowly, but steadily. Today it was 4 deg C, which
is quite cold. As we walked to the hotel in the evening, I could feel my hands go numb.
You see the locals walk around bundled in jackets and feel grateful that you don't have
to endure this on a yearly basis.

It's a week now that I have been here. Some places are now quite familiar. There are
people at work, at the hotel, at the restaurants we frequent, who are familiar. But still
you miss people back home. For close to 2 years, I have been seeing my son almost
every weekend and this is one weekend when I could not see him. I talk to my wife
over the phone daily, but still I miss the closeness of sitting across her & talking to her.

And last but not the least, I miss my car. By the time I return to Chennai, it would be
close to a month since I parked her securely at my friend's office. She is all covered up
from the Chennai dust & occasional rains, but then a car is not meant to be covered up.
As I watch the Audis and Skodas race by, the only thought that comes to mind is to
get back home next week and take her out for a drive. A long drive.

Serbia is great, the people are good, food is not bad, night life is excellent, the women
are the most beautiful on earth. But still there is no place like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment