Tuesday, October 13, 2009

It's a small world. No doubt about that.

Even before I came to Belgrade, I have been communicating over phone and email with a
few engineers working for our client here. Milan was one of them, a helpful guy who would respond promptly to any queries I had about their system.

His name intrigued me because not only is Milan a common name/word back home (one of
my nephews is named Milan and in Hindi, this word would mean "merger" or "union"), but
his last name Shreshta was also Indian-ish. I assumed this to be pure coincidence and did
not give it another thought.

After we landed here, we would come across Milan almost everyday since he also worked
at the same office. Yesterday evening, we were chatting after work when I told him that
both his first & last name sound very Indian. Imagine my surprise when he says that this
is because his father is from Nepal, and Mom is Serbian. He looks like any Serbian guy and
it would be tough to detect his Asian connection from his looks.

It surely is a small world. We have travelled many thousand miles from home only to run
into someone whose roots (atleast partially) lie just across the border of our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment