Thursday, June 18, 2009

When you can criticize bad service, do take time out to appreciate good service too.

I was searching for a document in the maze that my laptop is, when I stumbled across an appreciation letter that I wrote 5 years ago. I am very vocal when it comes to criticising
bad service, though not sure if I always take the same effort to appreciate good service.

Anyway, this was one time I did appreciate a good service experience. Actually it was an
out-of-the-way service rendered by a Government employee & there was no way I could
not say a big "Thank you".

Read on - it is pretty self-explanatory.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Ms.Geetha,

Let me introduce myself first. My name is Biju and I belong to Mavelikara, but have been
working at Madras for a few years now.

The reason for writing this letter is to express my appreciation and thanks for the way in
which you do your work with sincerity and dedication.

On 25th Jan 2004, I came to Mavelikara station at 6AM in the morning to book my Tatkal
ticket to Madras for the next day. I saw that there were already 3 people in the line before
me and just one booking counter. Since only 72 berths are available for Tatkal, I did not
have much hope of getting a berth (at Madras, if we aren't the first person in the line, there
is no chance of getting a Tatkal berth for TVM Mail).

At 7:45AM, you came in, scrutinised the applications & identity proofs and as soon as the
reservations opened at 8AM, typed in the Tatkal forms at rapid speed resulting in almost
all the persons in the line getting their berths. You also saved time by collecting the ticket
cost from the applicants only after all the Tatkal applications had been keyed-in & printed.

I was simply amazed by this dedication to duty. Today when most government employees
don't bother to do their job and expect bribes for doing their duty, here was an employee
who was taking extra effort so that consumer satisfaction is achieved. All of us in the line
were all praise for your dedication to your work. Since thanking you in person there wasn't
possible as there still were people in the queue to reserve tickets, I got your name from
another employee at the station and decided to put my appreciation in writing.

Just as I hope that other employees also emulate your dedication and sincerity, I myself
have a lot to learn from you in terms of improving my output at work and in being more
sincere and dedicated to my work.

Thank you Madam, for your exemplary dedication to work and customer satisfaction. If we
have more people like you, India can truly become a world-class country.

Best Regards,
Biju

07-Feb-2003
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had mentioned my mailing address, but did not get a reply. I could not even confirm
whether she received my letter because after sometime she got transferred from there.
But if she did get it, I hope she is glad to know that her dedication was appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment