Friday, June 12, 2009

Flowers, a clueless bee and the Queen of Sheba.

I was dusting off the TV cabinet when I sensed a bee (or something like that) fluttering
around me. Usually my instinct would be to swat these pesky things, but I continue with
my task, while it comes and settles on a bunch of artifical flowers set in a clay flowerpot
kept on the cabinet.


This pot & the flowers in it was a gift from a family who used to stay next door and the
lady of the house was someone with an artistic bend and did nice paintings on clay pots.
As I watch the bee hover on the artificial flowers, I was surprised that it could not make
out that those were not real flowers.

I was reminded of a story I read while in school about how a queen (was it the Queen of
Sheba?) who was shown 2 identical sets of flowers and asked to identify the real flowers.
Being the intelligent woman she was, she opened the windows of the room they were in,
which drew in the bees that promptly settled on the real flowers, solving the puzzle.

Queen Sheba can thank her stars that the bees that flew in her window were not clueless
like the one I encountered. Or the world would not have remembered her as a wise woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment