Monday, April 26, 2010

"The Mumbai Indians ? That should be easy." The kid was so bang on target.

Though I dont watch cricket (inspite of having played lots of it during my school-days), today morning I really wanted to know who aced the finals of the IPL 20/20 finals. As I pick up a copy of the DeccanChronicle at the corner shop, the first think I look for is the IPL results. And Chennai Super Kings trounced Mumbai Indians to bring home the cup.

My curiosity was not due to it being the home-team. The main reason was the conversation I had one morning a few days ago. It was around 8AM when I am getting ready to leave for work and the door-bell rings. I hate being interrupted in the mornings and think to myself that it must be the apartment watchman, dropping in as usual for some trivial reason or the other.

Open the door to see the guy from the nearby shop with the refill can of drinking water. I am glad he came before I left for work, because I have run out of water. After he collects the empty can and cash from me, just before leaving, he turns around and says, "It was a superb match yesterday, wasn't it sir ?"

Given that the only game about which Indians are crazy, is cricket, I know that he must be referring to some IPL match. But, what do I reply ? I dont even know who played whom or who won. Not wanting to sound knowing and end up making a gaffe, I admit defeat, "Who played whom and who won?"

"Sir, you did not watch yesterday's semi-final ? Chennai trounced the DeccanChargers to make it to the final."

"Oh, OK. Well, I don't follow cricket much". // He looks at me as if I were an alien. :-)

Just to break the awkward silence, I ask him, "So who do we play in the IPL finals ?"

"The Mumbai Indians".

"And how do you think we would do against them, given that they are in great form ? I was glad I remembered atleast this bit from a conversation my colleagues were having on IPL matches.

"Ha, that should be a walk in the park. We will win the finals".

As he walks away, I am wondering how confident he is about his home-team winning. More importantly, how much pride he takes about the team and how he identifies with the team. And given that Chennai did trounce Mumbai, he was bang on target too.