Friday, April 23, 2010

No aircon even in peak summer. Not for the Earth, but for a Mom-to-be.

After being surprisingly pleasant in Jan & Feb (for normal Chennai weather ie.), March saw Chennai getting back to how it is for most of the year - like the inside of an oven. Anyway, having spent more than 20 summers here, I should be now used to it. But each time, it feels like the first time - the searing heat beating down on you, eyes unable to be kept open while outside, the fatigue etc. The only saving grace being the round-the-clock Chennai sea breeze - what would we do without it ?

Sometime in April, I switched from ceiling fan to the air-conditioner and this will continue atleast till end-May. However, for the last few days, I had to switch back to the ceiling fan. Reason being a Mother-to-be who thought that my aircon-top is the best maternity ward in the whole of Chennai.

Couple of days ago, when I peeped out of my bedroom window, I see a couple of pigeons (Dad & Mom ?) and along with them a shiny white egg. Since my switching on the aircon might scare
them away & thus not let the hatching process to happen, I decided to sacrifice my comfort.

Pic : Mom looking warily at me, while Daddy flew off. Had to take the snap from behind the window netting to avoid scaring her away.


Pic : No proper nest. Just some twigs and hay scattered around.


Also, apart from hatching not happening, switching the aircon on would also mean the parent birds flying off & predators moving in for the kill. After all, one bird's egg could be another bird's breakfast. Check out the predators (circled in the snap below) waiting for a chance to have a go at the egg.


With my wife and kid coming down to Madras this Sunday for a week, I am not sure how long I will be able to do without the aircon. My wife does not really mind, but Aman likes the aircon comfort. Anyway, let me cross that bridge when I come to it.