Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A year on - the victims cry, while the perpetrator has fun.

When something earth-shattering happens, we remember where we were and what we
were doing that day. When Rajiv Gandhi was assasinated in 1991, I was at Ranipet doing
in-plant training at the facility of BHEL. When his Mom, Indira Gandhi was assasinated
by her own body-guards, I was at Kerala and the moment the car announcing the news
passed by, my Mom's favourite doll fell from the showcase and shattered into pieces.

When 9/11 happened, I was driving from work to the gym, listening to the car-radio and
when they mentioned about planes hitting the WTC, I was like "this is some spoof" and I
ignored the news only to get home and have my wife tell me that it was indeed real.

When 26/11 happened, I was again at Kerala & it was on prime-time television, like some
soap. Just that it was real and real people were losing their lives. For 2-3 days, those few
***holes held my country at ransom as we all were left to watch T.V., while they shed the
blood of innocent people.

After the whole drama ended, what remained was a series of images - of dead people/cops,
of injured people, a traumatised nation that could not believe that a few guys could come
over via the sea and wreak havoc in our country. But to me, what endured was the image
of Moshe, the Israeli kid who lost his parents in that bloodshed in Bombay (I hate the new
name of Mumbai, just like I hate the new name of Chennai).

Moshe was bawling, like any kid in his situation. He had lost his parents, though at his very
tender age, he would not know what life and death meant. I did a blog post on him then and
was reminded of him a few days ago when the newspapers started profiling the first Anniv.
of the carnage. He reminded me of my own son - not that they are facially similar, just that
I worried how my son would cope without me. In the crying Moshe, I saw my son.

Last Sunday, the New Indian Express had their supplement devoted to 26/11 and one of
the articles was about Moshe. He used to cry out in his sleep for his parents. Today he still
kisses the photos of his parents and asks his grandparents where they are. A kid of just two
years, he remembers. And cries...

On the other hand, we have the perpetrator - Kasab. A kid, if you go by his age, but someone
who killed many. He is the lone survivor of the gang that hit Bombay. We all saw him on TV,
spraying bullets all around. Is there any more evidence needed ? But no, we can't be seen as
a country that does not give a fair trial. So, for the past 1 year, we have had him making the
rounds of the court, grinning at times, asking for Biriyani etc.

Can you imagine what his situation would have been if he had been in Pakistan ? Gallows.
And if he had done this crime in the US ? He would be in Guantanomo Bay, subject to the
torture exercise called water-boarding. But in India, he is having fun. Asking for biriyani,
making faces at the media etc.

The kin of his victims want him dead. No trial, no nothing - just the gallows. But would that
be enough punishment for someone who left a kid an orphan or snatched the parents of
many families ? No, that would be an easy death - not enough punishment for the havoc
he created.

What would be the best punishment for him that would make him regret what he did ?
Imprisonment at Tihar jail in the company of dreaded criminals who would make day &
(more importantly night) difficult for him. That would be fair. Hope someone up there in
the soft state called India understands this and takes appropriate action.

No comments:

Post a Comment