Sunday, November 08, 2009

When you run fearing an army and run into...

Looks like the monsoons has set in over Tamilnadu. It had been raining on and off for the
past 2 weeks and then strengthened over the last week and by last Friday, the rain-gods
were in full form.

When it comes to rains, Chennai is kind of in a fix. We cannot do without the meagre quota
of annual rains, because the reservoirs feeding the city's water-lines would dry up, leading
to water scarcity. And we cannot also handle too much rains due to the way the soil here is
leading to water-stagnation, flooding etc. And ofcourse traffic becomes a nightmare.

Commuting to work & back becomes a pain due to the flooded roads and because those
that usually commute by bikes would bring out their cars during rains, leading to traffic
becoming even more dense. So, when my manager was OK with me working from home
this week, I was happy. But what awaited me at Kerala was even more rains. And this
is the typical Kerala rain, which pours by the bucketful. Only consolation is that I don't
need to drive to work.

Reminded me of a Malayalam saying "Pada pedichu pandala-thu poyaal, pandam-koluthi
pada". Translated to English, this would mean "I ran away to Pandalam fearing the army,
only to run into an army carrying burning-torches". Pandalam is a town in Kerala, some
20 kms from my place.

I hear from my friend in Chennai that all through the weekend it has been raining cats &
dogs there and the newspapers predict more rains. Just hope the city is able to handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment