Friday, September 11, 2009

The times, they are a changing. I am not complaining though.

Two related incidents that happened in the space of a week convinced me that I really
need to blog this. This is going to be a long one.

The first incident happened last Sunday around 1PM. I was at my friend's shop (which is
just opposite my apartment) to fetch some ice-cream for my son. I pay for the ice-cream
and am talking with my friend, when 2 girls in their late-teens walk in to get a pre-paid
mobile connection. While my friend's Dad started the shop as an STD/ISD/PCO booth
some 20 years ago, he diversified into ice-creams, mobile connections etc.

Out of normal curiousity, I look at the girls, but they are not familiar - maybe new to
the neighbourhood. While one of them is dressed in a salwar-kameez, the other one
is in a pair of tight jeans and an equally tight-fitting tops. As I start to look away, the
jean-clad girl looks at me. I meet her stare briefly and look away.

While my friend attends to them, I wait for them to leave so that we can continue the conversation from where we left it. Getting a prepaid connection now requires proper documentation including a filled-in form, photograph of the user, ID/address proof etc.
The jean 'n top girl has all of this ready and she hands it over. As my friend goes over
the documentation, she turns sideways and looks at me again.

I start wondering whether it is just a casual look or whether she knows me. I rack my
brains, but cannot place her face and so dismiss it as a casual stare. Satisfied with the documentation, my friend hands her a SIM card. She takes out cash from her handbag
and hands it over to him. As she waits for the change, she again turns to me sideways
and this time her stare lingers on me for more than a few seconds.

I am not sure what to make out of it. I mean, she must be just about half my age, though
she can't be blamed because I don't really look my age. But no credit to me for that - it is
mostly genetics & good luck. I am not sure if I should feel flattered that a girl in her teens
checks me out or feel bad that I also returned the stare of a kid. Anyway, the ice-creams
are melting in the hot Chennai weather & so I tell my friend that I will catch up with him
later and walk out of his shop.

As I exit the shop, I turn back only to find myself staring into her face - she had turned
around at the same time. I walk home thinking about the strange similarity this incident
had to another one that happened a week ago around 9:30PM when I was signing-off
from work.

Since it is just 3 floors to the basement car park, I usually avoid the elevator and hit the
stairs. Walking down the stairs in front of me are 3 girls, employees of the call-centre
located on the floor above my office. Like most call-centres, this one also works 24/7 in
shifts & they are walking down to the basement cafetaria. Like a typical girl-group, they
are chatting loudly, with the occasional we-have-no-idea-why-we-are-giggling girlie
giggle thrown in.

I would like to walk past them because I know that it is going to take them an eternity
to reach the basement. The staircase is wide enough, but since they are walking abreast,
I don't have space to squeeze through. I decide to take it slow & follow them down.

As they cross the first landing & step onto the next set of stairs, I am still on the previous
set of stairs & just approaching the landing. At this point, we can see each other if we look
to our side. They are still talking among themselves & giggling, but in between that, I see
the 3 of them turn sideways and look up at me. I dismiss this as just a normal behaviour -
a curiousity to know who is nearby.

But just few seconds after they had looked at me & turned away, one of the girls looks back
again at me. This isn't normal, unless we know each other, which we don't. I still don't think
of this as a big deal and continue walking. She turns away on seeing me return the gaze.

As they traverse the next landing & we come again in a similar position, I see her looking
up again at me. I have never been shy of looking at women & so meet her stare. She looks
away, but in a few seconds, she looks back again, only to look away again on my returning
her stare.

It seems to me sort of like how guys size-up girls, if you know what I mean. If a girl walks
past a group of guys, you can see most of the guys look at her and size her up - mentally
doing a "How does she rate on a scale of 1 to 10" ? In India, most girls in such situations,
would walk past demurely without returning the stare. But if a girl did return the stare,
most of the guys would hurriedly look away.

It is sort of a reverse scenario here, with me being sized up by the girl. Ofcourse I don't
have a problem at all if a girl ogles me. Though it would really worry me if a guy ogles me.
We reach the basement and they turn into the cafe, while I get my car and drive off.

As I drive home, I think about how things have changed over the years. When younger,
I remember ogling girls & almost 99% of them (except maybe some tom-boyish creature)
would make sure not to make eye-contact. I also remember ogling girls many years ago
while riding my bike, with the helmet ensuring that while I can see others, they cannot
make out whom I am looking at. You could ride by looking at any girl passing by & the
girls would just walk with either their head bowed or looking straight ahead to avoid
eye-contact.

Or you could be driving a car and ogling a Pretty Young Thing on the road, but as far as
they were concerned, you might have as well not existed, with their gaze straight ahead
or down.

But off late, I remember so many instances where I am riding my bike and I see girls
coming in the opposite direction (walking/biking/driving) strain to look through the
helmet. And when you are in the car, they just stare/ogle you as you pass by.

As these 2 incidents show, the Indian girl/woman of today not only has no qualms about
returning a male stare, but she is actually initiating the checking-out process. I have no complaints though about this metamorphosis because in these stressed times, it surely
feels good to know that you are still checkout-worthy even in your late-thirties. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment