Friday, September 04, 2009

No more visits to the toy shop for you.

"I will think twice before bringing you to the toy shop again", went my wife after our
visit yesterday evening to the toy shop at Gemini & which left my wallet lighter by 4K.

Ofcourse most of the stuff we picked up was for the party we are planning for Aman's
2nd birthday on 3rd October. But those were individually small & pretty inexpensive
stuff like candles, baloons, whistles, masks etc.

The major part of the 4K went for a remote control car (Rs.1750) and an assemblable
play-house with plastic sheet exteriors supported on an aluminium structure (Rs.700).
Both these purchases were impulsive, which was the reason behind my wife's statement.

Kids love toy shops and when they see the racks and racks of cool stuff on display, it is
only natural for them to want them all. It's like how we adults long for super-bikes or
cars or homes or gadgets. So, if you are taking your kid to the toy-shop, you better be
planned to handle his demands.

But guess what, Aman behaved really well. He was sure excited when we entered the
shop and let out a loud "Aaaaaye". He did pick up and try all the cars on display, but
when I asked him if he wanted it, he would say No and put them back. Only to pick up
another car and repeat the process.

But as my wife learnt, in a toy shop even some adults can turn into kids. Yes, her retort
was directed at me. I was (as always) looking at the R/C cars when I saw this guy trying
out an over-sized Swift look-alike car and I wanted it then. But the problem was that it
was the only piece available. Luckily for me, the guy did not buy it and I swooped up the
car, before he could have second thoughts.

And as if that was not enough, I chanced upon the assemble-able play-house and I just
had to buy it. Main motivation for buying it was being reminded of the small houses me
and my sisters would build in our backyard in Kerala when we were there for vacations.
We would use thin bamboo reeds for pillars & the roof skeleton and for the roof, it would
be woven coconut-tree leaves. Not very strong, but good enough to keep the rains away.

But today's kids are used to everything ready-made and straight from the shop. And I
thought it would be useful for Aman & his friends/cousins when they play in the yard.
So, I somehow convinced my wife about its usefulness and picked it up.

But she drew a line when I again started lingering near the r/c car section which had
re-boxed cars selling at discounted rates. She sent my son to drag me away from the
toys and Aman was literally pulling me to the billing counter, with the sales-staff
looking on amusedly. :-)

If she could drive the car, I am sure she would just take Aman with her to the toyshop
on her future visits, leaving me at home. Too much trouble handling a toy-crazy adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment