Thursday, July 10, 2008

The world is getting smaller by the day.

I was reading the Deccan Chronicle yesterday when I came across the following picture
and the accompanying news.

Picture and news item courtesy : The Deccan Chronicle

OK, news about a couple of Royal Bengal tiger cubs in a zoo is no big deal usually.
But what caught my eye was the place where the zoo is located, namely Saskatoon,
which is the hometown of my friend and colleague Will of "Wandering Will" blog fame.

It had been a long time since I heard from him and it was such a coincidence that he
came on chat exactly today, just when I was planning to post about these cubs in his
hometown. So, I tell him about this news and our conversation goes like this :

Will : hey Biju. How is going?
Me : Good. There was a news in the paper here about a tigress (Indian breed) giving birth
to 2 cubs at the zoo in your town (Saskatoon). The world is becoming smaller by the day.
Will : Very small. That zoo is about 500 meters from my house.
Me : Really ? I guess on a good day, you can hear the roar of the lion and stuff.
Will : And the smell. :-)

I was just thinking about the whole thing in this news item. A tigress originally a resident
of the state of West Bengal in India, gives birth to cubs in Canada, which is halfway around
the world and the news comes back to India, in a South Indian daily.

Hmm. The world sure is shrinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment