Monday, July 28, 2008

Finally some professional fishing equipment.

Though I have been fishing for fun since childhood (it sure helps to be a native of Kerala, where one is never far from a waterbody), it was always with DIY equipment. Go to the
yard, cut a suitable bamboo for the fishing pole, go to the nearest corner shop and buy a
few metres of nylon reel and a few fishing hooks of different sizes. Use a small bamboo
piece for the float, rig them all up together and I have my fishing equipment ready in an
hour or so.

Look around for the wettest patch in the backyard, dig a bit, collect the fattest earthworms
and bait is ready. Ofcourse, putting the sleazy buggers onto the fishing hook can make most people queasy. No fancy fishing rods or spinners or lures/baits etc for me. Ofcourse during
my visits abroad, I would go to sports stores like Basspro and gawk at the amazing range of equipment available. But never felt the need for them as I didn't think of myself as a serious angler.

The DIY stuff worked fine for me as recent as last week, when I went fishing in the river
near my home in Kerala. But yesterday I got an awards catalog (courtesy the organisation
I work for) from which I could choose any one product. Absolutely free, with no shipping
charges also.

The last time we got this, I had chosen a Campbell Hausfeld portable inflator that comes in handy for any car - works off the cigarette lighter socket. As I browsed through the catalog,
the following caught my eye.

SHIMANO Reel 6'0" FX Rod with Fishing Kit

Rod features : Durable Aeroglass, 2 piece, Reinforced Aluminum Oxide Guides, Solid Locking Graphite Reel Seat, Comfortable EVA Handles
Power : medium
Action : fast
Line rating : 6-14 lb
Lure rating : 1/8-1/2oz
Guides=tip+4
Reel Features : graphite spool (line included), Graphite Sideplate, graphite frame (lightweight), Graphite Rotor, rear drag
Quick Fire II is a one-stop ratchet system that automatically centers the trigger for easy,
one-handed casting
Gear ratio - 4.1:1
Line capacity : 6/170;8/120;10/100
Weight : 8.6oz
And, that very moment I knew what I wanted to order. Immediately placed the order online
and am expecting delivery around 2nd of August. After a real long time, I am feeling like a kid
waiting for its toy. Just can't wait to go fishing with this fancy gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment