Monday, November 20, 2006

Divya's trump card to keep the bully away.

I am not much of a phone guy. Infact, unless I am talking with friends calling from the US
on weekends (when they are drunk, they just want to talk to someone), I am usually short
& crisp. But one call that I look forward to is the one made to my lovely & adorable niece,
Divya. It is fun talking to her. All of 7 years old, yet such a lot of stuff to share with me.

The last time I called her, the conversation went something like this.

Divya : Uncle, I am going to give a speech in front of the whole school during morning assembly.
Me : Wow ! That's great. What is the subject ?

Divya : e-World.
Me : Hmmm. Great. Let me know if you want any pointers.
(Man, at that age, if someone had asked me about e-World, I would have stared blankly into

space. Heck, there was no e-World to speak of, back then.)

Divya : What time is it there now ?
(A favourite question of hers, since the time I called her from the US many years ago and she

was introduced to the concept of time difference.)
Me : I am at Madras, babe, and the time is same as yours. It differs only when I am in the US.

Divya : OK. I have another thing to tell you. Unnikuttan (her cousin & 1 year younger to her) is
always fighting with me . When we (her group of girls) are playing, he disturbs us.
Me : Oh, OK. Tell him that I will be in town next week and will beat him to pulp.

Divya : (Giggles in that cute way only girls can). OK, that would shut him up. He is very afraid of you.
Me : Just let me know when he is mischievous and I will do the needful to set the brat right.


Divya : (More girlie giggles). Don't forget to take him to task on your next visit, OK ?
Me : Sure, babe.

Unnikuttan is the typical boy that we all were at that age. He finds fun in pulling the ponytail
of his cousins, playing pranks on them, bullying them etc. Even though she is elder than him,
girls being girls, at times there would be only so much that she could do when dealing with a
brat like him.

And when everything else fails, she would invoke her trump card which I am assuming,
would be something on the lines of, "Behave yourself, brat. Else, I am going to tell my
uncle (yours truly) who will make mincemeat of you."

From what I hear, this threat is enough of a deterrent for Unni, who would try to buy

peace to ward off the threat from this uncle in Chennai.

Ofcourse I have no intention of hurting Unni. I just love Divya so much that I play along.
Keeping Unni in check is just a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment