Monday, August 24, 2009

Touch me not. Else I droop.

15-Aug-09 :
Another Independence day. Aman was feeling bored & cranky and to get him out of my
wife's way, we decide to walk to the nearest hardware shop to get some coir rope. I had
fixed a long GI pipe to two trees for my wife to grow her Orchids on & I needed the rope
to coil around the pipe so that the Orchids can let out their roots on the rope.

As we walk to the nearby shop, I see something that I felt would be interesting for Aman -
a bunch of touch-me-not plants. I remember how excited I was when I first came across
the touch-me-not plant at Kerala and I was sure Aman would also be interested.

These plants are found all over the place, especially on the road-side and so we stop to
inspect them. I show him how the leaves are normally and how they collapse at a touch.
Aman had great fun touching the leaves and seeing them contract.

The leaves of the touch-me-not all wide-spread before we touch them :


The leaves after they contracted on our touch :


Passers-by must have been wondering what was so interesting for a father-son duo to
so intently observe on the side of the road. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment