Saturday, July 18, 2009

What can 15 minutes of delaying your purchase get you ? How about 50% off on your bill ?

We live in a world and time where attention spans are low and thus marketers have to
try harder to catch our eyes. Apart from being bombarded with advertisements on TV,
Radio and the internet, our attention is also solicited by wall posters, flyers and the like.

Usually, I would avoid accepting any flyers from anyone & would not really give much
attention to flyers pasted on walls and doors of establishments. But as I learnt a couple
of weeks ago, there are times when paying attention to flyers helps get you a good deal.

Me & my wife vouch by the pastries at Cake Walk, who have outlets at Besant Nagar,
Egmore among other places in Chennai. The softness, taste, sweetness etc is just right
and once in a while we drop in to sample their wide range of pastries. And then I heard
about a new bakery chain called French Loaf, who were supposed to have a nice range
of pastries and other stuff.

Though they had an outlet near my home at Harrington Road in Chennai, somehow I
could never get around to paying a visit. And then a few weeks ago, I chanced upon
their Velachery outlet. On my way home from work, I had stopped to drop in at the
Naidu Hall store on the Velachery Byepass Road to check out something, when I saw
that the ground floor of the same building housed a French Loaf outlet.

I decide to try the pastries first and then attend to mundane shopping & am about
to enter the French Loaf store when the words "Happy Hours" on a flyer pasted on
the door catches my attention. I stop to read it and find that after 9PM, everything
in the store is available at 50% of normal price, which is not a bad deal at all.

I look at my watch & it is 8:45PM, just 15 minutes shy of 9. I walk back to Naidu Hall,
finish my work there and by the time I am back at French Loaf, it is 5 minutes past 9.
They do have a nice range of pastries, but somehow I still think CakeWalk is better. I
buy an assorted set of pastries and also pick up a loaf of bread for breakfast next day
and walk out with a 50% discount on the bill.

Not a bad deal for delaying my purchase by 15 minutes.

P.S. : After tasting the pastries, my verdict is that CakeWalk is still better. But, if you
stay near a French Loaf outlet, do walk in during their Happy Hours for your purchase.
At a 50% discount, it is not a bad deal.

1 comment: