Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The best gift is the unexpected one.

Gifting is an art. And one that requires keen observation, patience and lots of time. Oh yes, money also. But that is not the main factor because you could spends loads of money and still
end up with an unsatisfied recipient, while you could make a person happy with a well-thought out gift that did not really cost you much.

I was pleasantly surprised by a gift from a colleague today morning. He had come around to
my cubicle during tea-break and I presumed the intention to be just to discuss tips on what shares to buy, since we both discuss the stock market a lot and take tips from each other often.

Well, he did discuss shares and stuff, but before leaving, he handed me a small packet, which
he said was a small gift for me that he had bought from his recent vacation at Goa. It was a
bottle of Fenny (an Indian liquor native to Goa, made either from coconut or from the juice
of the cashew apple).

I was really surprised at the gesture, because I was not expecting a gift from him. He had
been to Goa on a week's vacation with his wife and while I would expect him to get gifts for
his family, I would really not expect to be on his gift list.

Thanks, man. Not only did you take me by surprise, but I am honoured by your gesture.

P.S. : More info on Fenny available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenny

No comments:

Post a Comment