Thursday, December 29, 2005

Some miracles of Nature.

Had been to Kerala for a short 3-day X'mas vacation. The moment I reached home, wifey
asked me to grab the camera and have a look at some real strange phenomena observed
in our backyard.

With a Masters degree in Agriculture, if she finds some plant-related thing strange, then
I can bet it would be something that I never would have seen before. Got a chance to see
some really strange stuff. Surely amazing are the ways of nature.

1) Normally, Banana plants flower from the centre of the pseudostem of the plant. This

one flowers from the trunk of the plant itself. It started as a swelling of the stem (sort of
like pregnancy) and when we cut open the swelling (caesarean section ?), the flower was exposed.



2. Arecanut trees usually propogate via the nuts that fall to the ground. But here's a way of
propogation unusual to arecanut trees - new saplings sprouting from the roots of the mother tree.



3) And finally a coconut tree with the trunk branching into two individual trees. This has
been around at our place for a few years now and does not evoke much curiosity now.
But when it happened years ago, it was an amazing sight.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the comment buddy. I did a quick view of your blog. Looks good and seems like you have a cool job. BTW, I would appreciate it if you could tell me how you chanced upon my blog ?

    ReplyDelete