Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Overwhelming to know that people do remember you.

Another All Fools Day, which also happens to be my birthday. Another year gone by and the most worrying part is about your age being incremented by 1. Anyway, the consolation is that
I am not the only one who is growing older - unless you happen to be Benjamin Button, no one
is growing any younger. So..

It feels great to know that people take the effort to remember your birthday and call up or
sms you on your birthday. Apart from close family members who usually remember anyway,
I have had a varied bouquet of wishes this time.

An old colleague (we worked together some 8 years ago) & good friend called up from Japan.
Something he has been doing for years now. Really appreciate it, man.

Friends on my online auto-forum sms-ed their wishes & even created a thread on the forum.

My sister, her daughter Ann, Ann's cousins all got together around the phone and sang the
whole "Happy Birthday" routine. This truly was an experience for me. Thank you Ann, Susan,
Robin, Sangi, Manju et. al.

Since my birthday fell on a weekday this year, it meant I would not be home with my family.
So, my wife started the celebrations early on 30th March itself when I was home. On return
from work, she came with a chocolate cake. And if that was not surprising enough, she had a
gift for me too - a new mobile phone - something that I had been eyeing for a long time, but
in my typical style was avoiding purchase.

Ofcourse, I did not know that she had yet surprise gift lined up in my travel bag, which I
chanced upon only in the train to Chennai. A set of 3 novels by famous Malayalam authors.
While I prefer reading in English, in the recent past I had sort of developed a fascination for
Malayalam literature and thus these books made an apt gift.

Thanks, one and all. It feels great to know that you are in the thoughts of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment