Thursday, March 19, 2009

The lost childhood.

Growing up as a kid, I remember many instances when I cribbed about not having this or not
having that. For eg. I remember the time when we were staying in Assam, where it used to get
really cold during winters, and my friend & classmate Dheeraj had a snazzy black jacket. From
the time I set my eyes on it, I needed one myself. Ofcourse I had enough warm clothing like
sweaters, school coat etc, but just that it was not as hep as this black jacket.

Started pestering my Dad for weeks and finally he consented to get me a jacket. I was on
cloud nine dreaming about the jacket. Little did I know that my Dad's idea of a jacket was
way off from what I had in mind. He did get me a jacket, but while it did the job of keeping
me warm well, it was not what I wanted. Just the fact that I remember something that happened more than 20 years ago should give you an indication of how disappointed I was.

Other disappointments/cribs were about the motor-bike I lusted for, but which he never got
me or the Sony walkman that I desired, but never got. Ofcourse it was not that money was
an issue, just that he did not think it priority enough. And guess what, when my sisters asked
for a bike and walkman, he promptly got it for them. That hurt me even more. And oh yes,
to be fair to him, Dad did get me 2 bicycles, both spanking new, during my childhood, which
was a perfect gift at the perfect time.

But as I grew up, I understood that the fun is in giving, not in receiving. Especially to those
who cannot afford it. What use is giving a Merc to your wife who earns more than enough to
buy one herself ? Instead, if you get a toy for a kid whose parents are not getting it for them,
their joy is boundless, which makes you also happy.

Inspite of these small disappointments, my childhood was fairly happy and content. We never
had to worry about food, clothing, shelter or study material. These are stuff that most of us
take for granted. But there are so many kids out there in India (and the world) for whom
these basic things are a luxury. They have no time to crib about a jacket that they desire,
because the growling stomach is aching for food. And all their thoughts are on how to find
something to eat to ward of hunger.

Last Friday I was (as usual) on the train to Kerala. Had taken the 4PM train since I did not
get tickets in the 8PM train from Chennai. Around 6PM, the train was nearing Katpadi
station and I was reading the newspaper, when I come across this scene.

A young boy who must be just about 3 years old (1 year older than my son) is leading a blind
man (his father ?) along the aisle of the train compartment. With one hand he is holding the
man's walking stick and in the other hand is a small plastic satchet of salted/fried peanuts.
They stop at each coupe and people drop coins into the tin that the blind man is having in his
other hand.

The kid looks hungry and wants to have a go at the peanuts, but he has only one hand free &
he needs both hands to rip open the plastic satchet. I don't know whether it was because his patience wore thin or because he was unable to control his hunger, but whatever was the
motivation, he comes up with another plan. He uses his teeth to rip off the plastic seal, while
holding the satchet in his one free hand. After a few bites, he now has access to the peanuts
in the satchet and starts eating them.

They pass me and some moments later, I become engrossed in my newspaper again. After
an hour or so, they return. Again the kid is leading the man by the walking stick, but there
is nothing in his hand - I guess he finished eating the peanuts. But what shocked/surprised
me was that the kid was asleep. Yes, even though walking along the aisle, leading a blind
man, the poor kid had gone to sleep, due to either exhaustion or hunger. He was kind of in
auto-pilot mode, walking along even though asleep.

It was shocking. More so because ever since I became a parent, any kid on the street reminds
me of my son. And to know that there are so many such young boys/girls everywhere who
lead a life that has no place for what we took for granted - a happy childhood. The kid is just 3 years old and is already earning and contributing to the family kitty. What about his lost childhood ? Life is just not fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment