Monday, May 05, 2008

A promise is a promise

The words in the title were said by Mr.Ratan Tata, head of the Tata group of companies, while launching the cheapest car in the world a few months ago. Christened the Nano and costing Rs.100,000 (2500$) car, there was so much hype about this car for years. And when finally
they came up with a prototype, the input costs had increased and people were sceptical whether he would be able to sell it at the promised price.

That is when he said that even though the input costs have risen, they decided to price it at that level itself, because 'a promise is a promise'. Recently the Tata group was in the news for buying the Jaguar and Land Rover marquees from Ford Motors.

Anyway, even to us lesser mortals, a promise is a promise as I get to learn every now and
then from my nieces. They stay some 50kms away from my parent's place and when I visit Kerala, I love to have them around our home. And for this, I usually promise them treats like swimming sessions in the nearby river, a drive to the beach or a few hours at the nearby park
or some chocolates / icecreams etc.

Usually these are enough to have them come over. Last week, I was feeling like going fishing
and thought it would be a good idea for the girls to see what this is all about. So, I promise that
I would take them fishing and they are all excited and come over to my parent's place.

What I had not reckoned with, was the impatience and energy levels of the kids of today. My plan was to go to the river around 5PM or so when the sun would be setting and it won't be hot. Also, I planned to take a short refreshing nap post-lunch.

Anyway, I had just managed to catch a few winks when I hear them run into my room and
shout out loudly for me to take them swimming. I look at the time and it is only 3PM. So I
tell them that it is hot outside and we can go at 5PM. But No, they want to go now.

Hmm. No trick I can think of works to dissuade them and finally I tell them that we need to
dig up some earthworms to use as bait. They find this interesting and ask me how to dig them up. I tell them to take a mug of water, pour it under a banana tree to make the earth soft and then use a small shovel to dig up the worms.

This activity interests them and they run off to get the worms, leaving me to my sleep.
Finally I wake up at 4PM, have tea and then I put together a fishing rod for a few rupees.
The rod itself is a branch of the bamboo tree in our yard. I buy a few hooks for some 10Rs
and some plastic wire for another few rupees and I am done. Also need a float (to indicate
when the fish is biting), which I make out of a bamboo twig.

Then we all go to the river for fishing. They have with them a can with the worms that they
dug up. But when I told them that they will have to put the worms on the fishing hook, they would not have anything to do with it - they are not touching the slimy creatures.
But they want to fish. So, I hook up the worms and they have their first go at fishing.

Initially they would just lift up the hook as soon as the fishes start biting. But then, they get the hang of it and between them they catch a few small fishes. As with playing in the river, they do not want the fun to end and get back home. So, have to drag them home with a promise that we will do it again.

I would like to think that I am doing this so that my nieces can have some fun. But I guess I
am actually enjoying it much more than them. These are life's little pleasures that I had when
I grew up and revisiting them is so nostalgic and pleasurable. A swim in the river, a couple of hours spent fishing etc is so much fun and the best part is that these do not require you to have money to enjoy them.

Next in line is some serious canoe-ing. A sport I love and which I was pretty good at many
years ago. And all it needs for this to happen, is a promise to my nieces that I would take
them canoe-ing.

No comments:

Post a Comment