Monday, March 03, 2008

Intruding even into a dialogue with God.

Yesterday morning, I was at our parish Church at 9AM for the Sunday mass. Over the years, while still remaining a believer, I have sort of detached myself from the rituals, especially the
routine of attending mass every Sunday. Instead I prefer to drop in at times when the church
is empty (say late evenings) and spend a few minutes in conversation with the power above.

But, when I am at Kerala, I cannot skip Sunday mass, because my parents would like me to
make it. Also because, the church, after Sunday service, is the place to be present, to catch up
with friends, relatives etc.

And as is my usual practice, I prefer to stand outside the church building for the duration of
the mass, instead of being inside the church. There is a mango tree just in front of the church,
whose shade gives some respite from the sun, to those who prefer to stand outside.

The priest's sermon is over and the mass is almost halfway through and is at the main part of
any Catholic mass - the blessing of the body and blood of Jesus, which is a re-enactment of the
Last Supper. As the priest raises the bread (symbolic of the body of Jesus) and the goblet of
wine (symbolic of his blood), everyone bring their hands together in the universal gesture of
prayer and bow their heads. For women, it is required that they also have their head covered
with either the pallu of their saree or dupatta of their salwar-kameez or some cloth.

A little away from where we are standing, on the left side of the church (the church is laid out
in the shape of a cross) stand some women. Women usually stay inside the church during the
duration of the mass. But those with small babies step out when the kids start bawling. The
priest is blessing the bread and wine and I have my hands folded in prayer and my eyes closed.

A few seconds later, I open my eyes and I see a woman with her head veiled and hands folded.
Nothing unusual about this, except for the fact that she is facing away from the church, which
is strange. Whatever be your religion, if you are praying near a place of worship, you would be
facing the church/temple/mosque/gurudwara/pagoda, not away from it.

Since it is quite strange, I continue observing her. And it is only then I notice that her hands
are not exactly together - while one of them is near her chest, the other is against her cheek and partially covered by the dupatta of her salwar-kameez.

Ha, now I get it. She was not actually praying, but talking very discreetly on the mobile phone. Like it has taken over other public spaces, the dimunitive mobile phone has invaded places of worship also. Not even God or the time spent communing with him is immune to being taken over by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment