Friday, July 20, 2007

Why does God have to take away the good ones so soon ?

Yesterday night I get a call from my Dad, which is quite unusual, because it is me who
calls up home regularly. He usually only calls up when he needs to convey something
or when he wants me to do something.

His voice is quite low, which is again unusual, because that's not the normal tone of speech
for him. He tells about the heavy rains there (nothing unusual, given the monsoon in Kerala)
and the flood caused by the nearby river being in spate. Floods are also almost a yearly phenomenon there, with river waters entering the low-lying fields that are not even
hundred metres from our home. But mercifully, they do not usually advance any further.

He then tells me that my second cousin, Shanti (means peace in many Indian languages)
who was down with pneumonia, expired just a few hours ago in Bangalore, where she was staying with her husband. I am shocked. I dont know what to say. He says that her mom
and brother had been there with her and will be bringing her to Kerala today.

No one could have had a more apt name than my cousin. She was peace personified. All of maybe 30 years, she always had a sweet smile on her face, was well-mannered, courteous
and humble. She would be any parent's dream daughter.

As a kid, she had some medical problems with her heart and used to be thin and weak,
but that smile would always be there on her lips. Over the years, she overcame most of
the medical issues and was a healthy girl. She dutifully married the boy her parents
found for her and soon was the mother of a 2-year old kid.

I am still unable to confront the reality that she will no longer be around. I can't imagine
the sorrow of her parents and brothers who doted on her. I am worried about the young
kid that lost a mother at such a tender age.

Why does God have to take away the good ones sooner ? Because he loves them more ?
But that is not fair to the people who love them and will miss them for ever.

Shanti, may you rest in peace.

You will always remain in my memories as the best sister I ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment