Friday, June 01, 2007

Why do we need to be forced to do even what's beneficial to us ?

Today, the traffic-scape of Chennai looked so different from what it was till yesterday.
It was a sea of helmets, with almost 99% 2-wheeler riders wearing helmets. Thanks to
the law enacted by the Tamilnadu Government, which requires that both rider and
person seated on the pillion wear helmet.

It is so surprising to hear about people and organisations that were protesting against
this rule, which is for the benefit of the people using 2-wheelers. It is a well documented
fact that in accidents, death and serious injuries could havebeen averted if the bikers
were wearing helmets. Anyway, I am glad that the courts did not allow a stay on this law,
as requested by some people/organisations.

The most common complaints that people have against helmets are :

1. Reduces visibility at the sides.
2. Reduced audibility (of the traffic around).
3. Sweating
4. Hair loss.
5. Having to lug it around.

Having been using a helmet religiously since I bought my bike 12 years ago, I guess I am qualified enough to address the above mentioned complaints.

1. I do not feel any reduction in visibility. But even if there is any reduction, you have the
side rear-view mirrors to help you see both sides, right ?

2. I guess this is true to an extent. But then I dont think the reduction is high enough to be paranoid. A good analogy would be the case of a person who has been driving a non-a/c
car for years. Due to lack of a/c, he is used to driving with the windows down always (atleast
in Chennai). When he moves to an a/c car, and drives with windows closed, the audibility
level goes down. Initially this will feel uncomfortable, but you get used to this soon (from my personal experience on shifting to driving with windows closed after 20 years of open window driving).

3. Sweating could happen. But then think of having a protection on your head from the hot sun.
I wear a helmet not just for protection in accidents, but to keep the sun away and also to avoid the dust/dirt from entering my eyes and dirtying the face. Get a helmet with a good vizor.

4. The hair loss due to wearing helmets claim is pure bunkum. If that were the case, I should
be bald now after 12 years of using helmets.

5. Why lug it around ? Most auto-geared scooters nowadays have enough storage below the
seat for atleast one helmet. For bikers, you get these helmet locks which can securely lock atleast 2 helmets.

Another law that came into force from today requires motor vehicle drivers and front seat passengers to wear the seat belt while driving. While I understand the benefits of wearing
the seat belt, I used it only on highway drives. Had been thinking of using it in the city also,
but somehow it did not happen. I am thankful that there is a law requiring me to wear it
and now I can make sure I make it a habit.

So, when are we making helmets and seat belts compulsory across India ?
Waiting for that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment