Thursday, June 14, 2007

Thattukada a.k.a Kai-enthi-bhavan in Tokyo

Now, I knew that I would be seeing a lot of new stuff in Japan. But I never thought
I would chance upon a thattu-kadai or kai-enthi bhavan (roadside makeshift eatery).
But that was precisely what I came across, just outside Ogikubo Metro Station.

In the mornings when I crossed that place on my way to work, it was all covered up
and I did not really give it another look. Apparently, these eateries are active only
from evening, like in India.

But one day, was returning late from work and saw activity at the shop. A guy was
busy cleaning utensils and saw food stuff kept ready for cooking. Hmmm. Could not
help taking a snap - ofcourse the picture is not very clear as I did not use the flash
for fear of offending the guy manning the shop.

There were no customers around. Maybe because he was just starting up. But then
I wonder if at all any customers would really turn up at his place. Reason being that
his thattu-kadai is just near a public toilet, whose grey wall is what you see in the
left-most corner of the picture.















Looks like a nice initiative, but maybe wrong location. I could be wrong too - will find out
one of the days I return real late from work. Because this is Japan and cleanliness is even
above godliness. And the urinal is maintained (and used) so well, that when you walk past
it, there is no smell that you would associate with a urinal.

Still, a urinal is a urinal and having food standing beside one does not sound like a fun idea, atleast to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment