Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Kiddy talk

Talking of kids and kid talk, my niece who is all of 5 years old talks stuff that makes us think.

My sister and brother-in-law are not the usual religious couple. They do pray and all that,

but do not go to church on Sundays or for special occasions. Instead, they prefer to go in the evenings when there is no function on and just sit and pray in the silent environment.

My niece had some idea about the concept of God - somebody who has supernatural powers

and listens to our prayers and someone to whom we can look upto in times of trouble. She
had this ritual of a daily bedtime prayer, when she would pray to Jesus to take care of and protect her parents, friends and loved ones.

Last Easter, my sister felt that it was time she had a chat with her daughter about God,

Jesus, the church, relevance of Good Friday, Easter etc. She talked about Jesus and how he
was crucified on Good Friday.

This was the first time when my niece became aware of the fact that Jesus was dead. And all that she had to say on knowing this was "What ? Is he dead ? If so, how is a dead person going

to save us ? "

I don't think my sister had an answer to that question and was left wondering about whether

it was a right thing to introduce the scriptures to her daughter.

Pretty logical thinking, right ? Well, I just hope she does not loose faith in a power above us. Hope/faith is the essence of life and I would like my niece to grow up with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment