Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Reading too much into a name

I am riding the lift to the Pantry on the 8th Floor to have lunch when a young girl and 2 guys hop in at the 4th floor. From their looks & their behaviour, it is clear that they are fresh out of college and have been recruited from campus, their employer being one among the big three of Indian IT.

They are jabbering on in Hindi, most of which I ignore, till I hear them mention the name of my organisation. I am all attention now. The girl is animatedly telling about someone working in my organisation whom she came across earlier in the day and who had a last name of Khanna, which according to her falls in the same group/caste as Khatri to which she belongs. She also mentions about Khurana being another member of the group. The guys rib her about how she now has options available, for marriage.

I am not aware of anyone with a last name of Khanna in our organisation at Chennai. But then, with the headcount hitting 300 recently and me not being the type who is outgoing enough to go meet new joinees, it is possible that there is someone fitting that description. Anyway, I forget about it.

After lunch, we have a 4-hour workshop on MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator), involving a good deal of group-activity, and I come across the afore-mentioned Mr.Khanna (as indicated on his badge) in the group. But hey, he does not at all look like a North Indian, inspite of meeting the critical condition of being fair-complexioned. And to top it all, he speaks ultra-fluent Tamil.

I get a better look at his tag & see the last name of Sekar below his given name of Rajesh Khanna - on our tags, the surname is written below the given name. So, he is "Rajesh Khanna Sekar" and if my guess is correct, his Dad must be a big fan of the yesteryear Hindi-movie actor 'Rajesh Khanna' and would have named his son after the actor. Not very surprising in Tamilnadu, but obviously not something the Punjabi lass from up north could be aware of.