Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Luck, by chance. Unplanned dinner date with a celebrity.

I left work at 9PM yesterday feeling very hungry. In my mind, I started going through all the restaurants on the 20km route to my home. And for one reason or the other, I ticked them off the list one-by-one. Reasons being, not enough parking, not in the mood for Pizza, sick of eating chicken etc.

And before I knew it I was just 1-km from home and near the last restaurant on the way. Since no other choices existed, I drive into the parking of the Nelson Sangeetha restaurant on Nelson Manickam road. Walk in and find an empty table. Since this restaurant is one I visit regularly, I am aware of what is available and place my order.

As I wait for the food to come, I look around. At the table next to me, facing me is seated a lady in a nice (actually exquisite) blue silk saree. I can see only her side profile, but I still feel like I have seen this face before. Rack my brains and the only connection that comes to mind is singer Anuradha Sriram.

For those who don't know who she is, here's a snap I googled out.


But why would someone like her come to a normal restaurant, when she can have her pick from any of the 5-star hotels in town ? I assume it is someone who resembles her. But everytime my glance falls on her, it seems more like her. Seated opposite her is a gentleman and they are having an animated discussion about her concert, dates etc.

By the time I am halfway into the masala-dosa, she is done with her coffee and they are moving off. A quick look around confirms my suspicion that it is indeed Anuradha, because everyone from the waiters, to the manager to the customers have their gaze on her as she moves out.

She looks shorter than I thought she looked on TV - maybe because she seems to have put on weight - looked chubbier than on TV. But she does have an exquisite face - gotta give that to her.

BTW, noticed her getting into a Hyundai Elantra. If it is indeed her car, I guess it is high time she changed to a more upmarket car.