Monday, June 14, 2010

FIFA mania - whom to root for ?

The Football World Cup is on and the madness will continue for the next month and more. Since football is one of my favourite sports along with Badminton and Hockey, I thought it would be a good idea to get a Satellite TV connection after many years of not having any cable/satellite connection. Also would help my wife & son while away time during the day.

So, last Saturday, get myself a SunDirect satellite connection. Among the many available options, I preferred this because they cover most of the Tamil & Malayalam channels which we normally watch. And it has DD-Sports which beams FIFA matches.

But then, another dilemna arose ? Which team to root for ? Usually people root for their home teams, but since India is not among the 32 nations that qualified for the World Cup, whom to root for ?

I look up the list and see Serbia and Slovenia among the 32. Wow !!! Two really small countries and yet good enough to qualify. And to top it both countries are customers for one of the projects that I am currently working on. So, I decide that I will root for the football teams of Serbia and Slovenia.

The Serbian Football Association logo :



The Slovenian Football Association logo :


Yeah, I know they are underdogs, compared to the big cats in the fray, but hey, what is the whole fun if everyone is rooting for the sure-fire winners, ? And as luck would have it, both of them played their first match yesterday evening, India time.

The results were a mixed bag since Slovenia won against Algeria, while Serbia lost to Ghana. Actually Slovenia is doing pretty good in their group rankings. In Group-C to which they belong, they are leading with 3 points, while USA and UK have 1 points each (they drew against each other) and Algeria is with 0 points (having lost to Slovenia).

Serbia / Slovenia, go for the cup. Best of Luck.