Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Many Happy returns of the day, Divya.

My favourite niece is 10 years old today. As I think back to 4th Feb, 1999, I can still vividly
recollect the small baby that I held in my arms, who is now a young girl. It was her arrival
that made me an uncle for the first time and she was such a trouble-free baby in the first
few years of her life. I don't think I can say that about my other nephew Dan or niece Ann
or even about my son.

Talking about my son, yesterday I was thinking that I should have named him 'Calvin' given
his antics that seem to have a connection with the Calvin of "Calvin & Hobbes" cartoon fame.
Or even 'Dennis" from the "Dennis the Menace" series. :-)

Divya, like any other kid, is changing by the day, becoming more mature. More so, after her
baby brother was born a year ago. On earlier birthdays, she would be so excited about the
whole birthday party thing and about the presents she would like to get. But this time, all
she was bothered about was throwing a grand party on her brother Dan's birthday.

I called to wish her on her birthday and asked what present she would like me to get her.
To my surprise she did not have anything in mind and said, "Let me ask Mummy", to which
I replied that, "The present is for you, not for your Mummy. So you tell me what you want".
When she still could not come up with anything, I told her to think and let me know.

It is so surprising how kids change over time. In the past, Divya could never be found tongue-
tied when asked what she wanted. On each of my visits abroad on work, she had a list ready
of things she wanted me to get her from there. But now, she is not sure any more.

Have a great day, Divya. Love you lots.

No comments:

Post a Comment