Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Contentment vs ambition.

Last weekend I was rummaging through the junk stacked in the terrace at our home in Kerala, looking for a
foldable kiddy-seat. We had thrown it there because it was not stable and Aman used to fall off it, when he
was a baby. Now, she had found some use for it and so the search.

Along with it, I found some other stuff that I knew the kids would find interesting - a toy-pistol, a plastic
cricket bat, a green Kawasaki Ninja replica bike, a toy binocular etc. I wash the dust of all of them and
immediately they are lapped up by Aman and Ishaan. While Aman takes the binocular and bat, Ishaan takes
the pistol and Ninja.

Ishaan is a sucker for bikes and cars and is already dreaming of riding my SheeBeeAar (as he pronounces CBR) to school when he grows up. Once the dust was washed off, the Ninja in its signature green colour was gleaming and for some time I was lost in the bike's looks.

Sheena looks enquiringly and I say, "I should have bought the Ninja, instead of the Honda CBR250".

The Ninja was the bike I wanted, but did not buy because I wasn't sure how serious a rider I was and also
the sales & service points were some 100 kms away in Trivandrum. It also cost double the CBR, but that
was worth it, since it is a direct import from Japan - quality would be better.

Sheena asks, "Do you regret buying the Honda ? Don't you like it ?"

"Well, I do like it and enjoy riding it. But since I keep automobiles for a long time, the next chance of buying
one would be light-years away, by which time I might be old to ride and thus I should have bought the one I
yearned for."

"Hmm, I thought we should be content with what we have."

"If you are content, there won't be a drive to achieve.", I reply, though I don't mean a word of it.

"I know only one person in this whole world who is absolutely content with what he has. And it is 
you."

She had the last word and she was right too. I am content with the CBR and the Ninja is just a fleeting wish.

Maybe once Aman & Ishaan grow up and reach riding age, I will get them a Ninja. And live my dream through them. That is, if Sheena allows it. No bikes for them, as per her. Due to safety issues.