Sunday, November 16, 2014

Back in Europe. My favourite place on earth, after India.

I landed in Amsterdam on the morning of 15th November and will be here till the 20th when I move to Belgium for a week. The last time I was in Amsterdam was in 1998, when me & some friends drove down from Belgium. But that was to the Amsterdam Central area which is where all the action is.

This was my first touch-down at Amsterdam Schiphol airport which is a pretty funky airport. For one thing, when you land, you can see freshly ploughed fields just near the runway, which was pretty cool because usually the runway is kind of fenced off. And the other interesting thing is that Schipol is not just an airport.
It is also the train station from where you can take local and international trains. And it also has a big shopping area inside with a variety of dining options.

One of my favourite things to do in a new place, is to walk around and explore the place on foot. While this is comparitively tougher to do in winter, it becomes even worse if it is raining. And from the time I landed here yesterday, it has been drizzling almost all day. But the good side is that the drizzle is mild and nothing to drench you. 

Yesterday I caught a train from inside Schipol Airport to Amsterdam Centraal and walked around the whole place. Like last time, the canal-network reminds me of Alappuzha. If only our government were to take some effort, it won't be long before the canal-network of Alappuzha could be a big selling point. 

Anyway, I am enjoying my time here and the food, especially the wide variety of breads/croissants available for breakfast. My last visit to Belgium was in 2002 and goes without saying that I am really looking forward to being back there this week.