Friday, May 25, 2007

What's in a name ? Lots actually, it seems.

I was at the Apollo Hospitals for a doctor appointment, when I happened to overhear
the following conversation between a young couple who were expecting their first baby
in a few months.

Husband (H) : Isn't it time we shortlisted some names for our baby ?

Wife (W) : Yeah, only a few months left. But we won't know whether it is a boy or girl
till it is born. So, we will have to come up with both male and female names. If only they
told us the baby's sex, it would have been simpler. And also the suspense is killing me.

H : What's life without some suspense ? Anyway, we will shortlist both male and female
names. Its not that tough a task as you make it out to be.

W : OK, then why don't you suggest some names ? They should be unique, yet not sound
funny or odd. And it would be nice if they had some meaning too.

H : Hmmm. OK. I have some nice female names that are unique and with meaning.
What about PorSelvi ?
Note : Por means battle in Tamil, while Selvi means girl.

W : Yucks. Where did you get that from ? Naming a girl after battle and war.

H : Well, you said you wanted a name with meaning and also something unique. Didn't you ?

W : That I did. But I also said that it should not sound odd.

H : OK, how about Kayalvizhi ?
Note : Kayal is fish in Tamil and Vizhi is eyes. Meaning one with eyes of a fish.

W : Not bad. But that was the name of a girl in college that I hated. No way am I naming my
kid after her.

H : Hmmm. How about Sivakami ?

W : Yeah, I like that one. How did you think of that one ?

H : That was the name of the girl I had a crush on in college. She was hot.
***Oops, did I go overboard?***

W : Hmmm. Somehow when I think of it again, it does not sound that good a name.
***Trying to name my kid after an old flame, eh ? What guts?***

H : I think I have exhausted all girl names I had. Do you want some nice boy names ?

W : Sure, lets see whether you do better with this.

H : How about "Ilampiraiyan" ?

W : What the hell ? Is that a name ? And what is it supposed to mean ?

H : Ilam = young/new. Pirai = moon. Someone who is like a young/new moon.

W : God. Where do you get such names ? Doesn't some normal names strike you at all ?

H : Such a nice name with meaning also. Pity that you cannot appreciate it.

W : OK, forget that I asked you for names. I know whom to ask and get the most varied list of names.

H : Who is that ?

W : Google. Who else ?

No comments:

Post a Comment