Thursday, May 31, 2007

Mirchi not so hot anymore, with Suchi no longer around...

Till a few years ago, I was not much into radio, be it FM or AM on a normal radio or
car-radio. I loved having tapes (later CDs) of the songs I like in the car and at home
and just listening to them, without having to bear the boring banter of the RJ (Radio
Jockey). But if somebody can be given the credit to lure me to radio, it has to be
Suchitra, the RJ (till recently) of Radio Mirchi, more commonly known as Suchi.

With a different but likeable voice, she lured me to FM, atleast during my morning
drive to work, when she would be hosting the "Hello Chennai" programme. Add an
attitude to that voice, plus a good awareness of general current issues and you have
a personality that you like and would not mind listening to. Plus she looks good too,
if that matters.

Yeah, I know that she's not photogenic, given how she looks in movies (Ayudha Ezhuthu)
and advertisements. But in real life, she does look good. And I have seen her many times
at TIDEL Park, where she used to work in an IT services company before becoming an RJ.

Anyway, with her at Radio Mirchi, the monotonousness of the morning drive in heavy
traffic would be forgotten. And inspite of feeling like yelling at the guy who cuts you off
in traffic, you find yourself smiling, when she says, "...and drive with a smile".

Now that she has moved to compering TV programs (is becoming a Video Jockey a
promotion from a Radio Jockey ?), the morning drive is boring. Radio Mirchi are trying
their best to fill the void left behind by her leaving, but I am not sure it is working.
Atleast not in my case. I find myself tuning to other stations nowadays, something
unbelievable when Suchi was around.

The replacement programme, titled "Rettaivalu" which is jointly hosted by 2 guys is not
bad, but just does not come anywhere near the magic of Suchi. If I werethe deciding guy
at Radio Mirchi, I would rather conduct an audition for a fresh female voice and select a
girl with voice and attitude, rather than have 2 guys trying to woo listeners used to the
magic of Suchi.

Guys, get your act right. Or else, I am going to get a DVD player installed in the car and
watch recorded shows of Suchi's TV program. Which is actually quite good when I saw it
last. And from what my friends say, she seems to be doing pretty good with the show.

Anyway, Best of Luck Suchi. "And keep compering with that awesome smile".

No comments:

Post a Comment